Re: Inherently Government Functions

Ash Mahesh wrote:

> > There is something what we call as IGFs or Inherently Government
> > Functions.  Issuance of currency in my view is an IGF which cannot
> > be privatized. (whereas the railways are not an IGF)
>
> Interesting. How do we decide what is an IGF? On what basis? How about
> few other examples to help out those of us who haven't encountered
> this
> idea in the past, Kush? I tend to agree that there are such functions,
>
> but I haven't given much thought to determine how those might be
> identified.

The standard principle has been that peaceful coexistence among humans
requires monopoly on the use of physical force. Government is granted a
legal (legitimated) monopoly on the use of force in a give geographical
area.  This suggests that areas that require use of force should be
limited only to the government.  That is, national defense, police, and
the court system. In the latter case, there could be competing courts
(private arbitration etc) but govt courts have the final authority.
Everything else should be left to the civil society.

To limit the misuse of this monopoly, governments are required to work
under the framewrok of objective laws and constitution.  Constitutions
are designed to specify and restrict government's and not people's
powers.  Government can do only what is prescribed in the constitution.

parth-