Re: National strategies

> "Cooperation as a strategic tool ... has been pioneered by Japanese
> firms. Licesing arrangemets, joint ventures, and technology-exchange
> agreements played a vital role in closig the post-war technology gap
> between Japan and the United States..."

Wasn't this MITI-led revival perfectly in line with American intentions,
though? America had decided that a prosperous and stable Japan would
make a great ally, and looked the other way even such practices were
seen to be clearly anti-competitive. Today, when the equation has
changed considerably, the US has no qualms about calling the Japanese
system little more than "crony capitalism". Which in fact it is. A
system where the government decides the winners either directly or
through its arms runs the risk of falling behind in the competitive
world. Such collusion must have contributed to the high death rate of
Japanese banks these days.

Rather than promote any such cooperation, the government can do much
better by remaining neutral to them. Businesses will find their own
cooperative interests and pursue them. All the government has to do is
stay away from blocking them, not necessarily swing the other way and
take up arms on their behalf. Involvement is a natural pathway to power
and further, to control. Let's leave the government out of things that
are not its business, both literally and figuratively.

I don't believe in government-led revival. It tends to be ultimately
partisan and nepotistic. I would rather see unheralded Indians be able
to lift themselves up with their own ideas than for the government to
decide a priori who shall be entrusted with that onus in return for
better assured profits.