Re: how far away is the goalpost?

> An oft-repeated intention of IP is to help build India to the pole
> position among the nations of the world. This is not a very clear goal,
> for today depending on the parameters one uses (wealth, life expectancy,
> per capita income, nuclear-free zone, crime-free society, etc.) several
> countries could make a reasonable claim to the title. Japan, America,
> Canada, Sweden, Switzerland are some that come to mind readily. We need
> a better goal than the mere intention to make India #1.

why do you say it is not a clear goal? aren't the standard parameters
per capita income, life expectancy, infant mortality and literacy rate?
if we improve these and at the same time move towards crime free
society, our aim would be met.
what has nuclear free zone got to do with standard of life? even if one
country has nuclear bombs, the whole world is at risk. there is nothing
called nuclear free zone.
apart from these, it was stated on IP that india should have the best
universities, a stable population etc.

> Some news magazines (India today?) are in the habit of ranking the
> states, and we might also coopt some of their methods and devise our own
> for monitoring progress.

i agree with this. we should have a method to evaluate the states.
and we need a more scientific method than india today's (to rank colleges,
they asked the opinion of principals of colleges. so we had colleges
known for anti social elements and which are usually the last
priority for students making the top 10 list.)

> Two other points from past discussions:

> (a) I did not get any objections or affirmations to my proposal that
> members of the ideal party should waive privileges that protect them
> from prosecution, specifically clauses which state that govt permission
> is required for prosecution. Should we add this to the code of conduct?

i agree with this one completely.

-Arvind