Re: Manifesto

> Utkarsh: At this point I will suggest that we should keep English as
> the medium of instruction in Universities. The reason I say that is
> as the time goes on, the global market place will value English
> speaking countries for some trades. I am sure this is one of the
> reasons why India is exporting more programers than China or Chezch
> Republic to the developed world.

Although you raise a valid point, it doesn't lend itself well to the
claim of keeping all education (in universities in English). Both China
and the Czech Republic are considerably better off in economic terms
than we are, and continue to grow quite rapidly, notwithstanding the
fewer programmers they have.

My preference is to teach things in English for which there is value in
knowing them in English (like business, science, math, computers, etc.)
On the other hand, a rural development program or even an urban design
program could gain considerably by being taught in the local language,
which is the one actually needed to implement any such learning
successfully. What is the benefit/need in/to learn everything in
English?

I also am not sure if the global marketplace will necessarily view
English speaking nations more favorably. An economically strong China
could easily tilt that balance, there are far more Chinese speakers than
English speakers. Windows is available in Chinese, and other techinical
and commercial ventures will naturally tend to the existing nature of
the markets. If we all know Hindi, the big boys will make the stuff work
in Hindi. Why put the horse behind the cart hoping that in time some
other cart can be hitched to its behind?

Also, in trying to leverage our efforts on to a bigger plane so that
growth becomes self-sustaining, we need to co-opt as many people into
the development process as possible. Why put up barriers in front of
people by having them learn in unfamiliar languages, why not simply
teach them in languages they already know, at least in fields where
there is not much international interaction?

Let's keep talking, and see where the argument leads. I'm willing to
settle for limited learning in other languages with all else in local
ones. But I remain open to hearing the other side?

I'd sure like to hear from some others who have been on the sidelines.
It is good to see increased participation once we narrowed down the
topic. In a couple of days, I'll put up a status report on the debate,
and highlight the unanswered questions, and we can use the rest of the
week to narrow them down.