Manifesto - Kerala: "Poor But Prosperous"

In our discussion there was a reference to Kerala as a model for the rest of
India to follow in regard to literacy and population control. The September
1998 issue of the Atlanic Monthly has an artcle titled, "Kerala: Poor But
Prosperous"which I thought members of the India Policy forum may find
interesting.  (See below).

Ram Narayanan

September 1998

Development and quality of life can't always be measured purely in economic
terms. The Indian state of Kerala is a case in point
by Akash Kapur

A FIFTH of the world's people live on a dollar a day. More than a third are
illiterate, and more than a hundred million have no access to basic health
care, sanitation, or education. They make up a worldwide underclass whose
continued deprivation defies the global rush toward prosperity that has
otherwise defined much of this century. Today in the West and in parts of
Asia living standards are at unprecedentedly high levels, but for 80 percent
of the world's people, that prosperity remains elusive: they continue to
earn less than 20 percent of the world's income.
Paradoxically, if there is hope for these people, perhaps it is to be found
in a sliver of a state, 24,000 square miles, on the southwest coast of
India -- one of the poorest countries in the world. That state, Kerala, is
poor even by Indian standards. The gross domestic product per capita is just
$1,000 a year -- some $200 less than the Indian average, and about one
twenty-sixth of the American figure. Houses in Kerala are small; clothes are
simple and unadorned. For most of Kerala's 33 million citizens life appears
to be governed by the narrow circumscriptions of agriculture. Yet consider
the following:

Life expectancy in Kerala is seventy-two years, which is closer to the
American average of seventy-six than to the Indian average of sixty-one.

The infant-mortality rate in Kerala is among the lowest in the developing
world -- roughly half that in China, and lower than that in far richer
countries such as Argentina and Bahrain.

Population, too, is under control in Kerala. The fertility rate is just 1.7
births per woman -- lower even than Sweden's or America's.

What is perhaps most impressive is that 90 percent of Keralites are
literate -- a figure that puts the state in a league with Singapore and
Spain. Children in Kerala are likely to beg for pens, not money. Schools --
their classrooms clean, well-maintained, and filled with students in
brightly colored uniforms -- are found seemingly every few miles throughout
the state.
These are all indications of a way of life one would expect to find only in
parts of the industrialized world -- not in a state whose per capita income
is lower than that of Cambodia or Sudan. But Kerala is more than just proof
that even the poorest of societies can attain a decent standard of living:
it also challenges the prevailing view that quality of life is best measured
by per capita income. In recent years that orthodoxy has increasingly come
under assault by a group of economists and social scientists who would like
to see the narrow concept of economic development replaced with a broader
notion of social, or human, development. For this group -- the driving force
behind an annual Human Development Report published by the United Nations --
health, literacy, and freedom from discrimination are as necessary to a good
life as is material wealth. Amartya Sen, a leading economist who has drawn
attention to Kerala, has argued that the success and failure of development
efforts cannot be judged merely in terms of income and output. "What
ultimately matters,"he has written, "is the nature of the lives people can
or cannot lead."
LEGEND has it that Kerala was created when a Hindu god, Parasurama, threw
his ax into the ocean and lifted a new territory from the sea. Today, as I
have found on three visits, the state does seem to be made of matter
different from its surroundings. Much of Tamil Nadu, the state to the east,
with which Kerala shares its longest border, is virtually a desert: a flat,
sweltering scrubland. The earth is parched, cracked like the hooves of the
meager cows that scavenge for upturned roots; the shrubs are denuded, their
bare stalks pointing to the skies like arthritic hands.
>From Tamil Nadu, Kerala first appears as a distant series of incisions in
the skyline. These are the peaks of the Western Ghats, a mountain range that
stands as sentinel to a state as gentle and welcoming as Tamil Nadu is harsh
and unforgiving. Lush plantations of cardamom, pepper, rubber, and tea
spread over sloping valleys; the green and fertile countryside is home to
dozens of rivers and is crisscrossed by a network of shallow canals known as
the backwaters. In southern Kerala thin-bottomed boats on the backwaters
serve as an informal public-transportation system, offering a quiet
alternative to the lunatic buses that prowl the highways. One can catch a
boat from almost any village; the ride reveals a lazy landscape of red-tiled
houses amid paddies, leafy banana trees, and Kerala's ubiquitous coconut
Kerala's geographic difference is matched by its striking social and
political difference from the rest of India. Whereas most of the country
appears constantly ready to crumble under religious factionalism, Kerala's
sizable Muslim and Christian minorities co-exist peacefully with Hindus, as
they have for centuries. Likewise, at a time when India is refashioning
itself in the image of American-style capitalism, Kerala remains unabashedly
communist, a bastion of militant trade unions and five-year economic plans.
Everywhere in Kerala are signs of its anachronistic ideology: roads are
littered with small paper flags bearing the hammer and sickle; walls are
plastered with portraits of Marx, Lenin, and Che Guevara. Once, when the car
in which I was traveling broke down, I found myself outside a mechanic's
shop encouragingly named Lenin Auto Parts.
In Trivandrum, the mellow state capital, which spreads over seven hills, I
paid a visit to C. P. Narayan, a prominent member of Kerala's largest
Communist party. His office was opposite the party headquarters, a hideous
slab of concrete, like something out of Nicolae Ceausescu's Bucharest.
Narayan is not a happy man these days. As the monsoon rains buffeted his
windows, and as aides shuffled in and out with papers for him to sign, he
railed against global capitalism and India's program of economic
liberalization, adopted in 1991. Kerala, he told me, has no place for the
modern industries that are setting up shop all around the country. "What is