Re: Why intellectual history is important

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Dr. Subroto Roy wrote:

> "Frankly, one is not quite bothered whether Schultz or anyone else started >
> this theory."
> Intellectual history is important because it records who held to what belief
> publicly under what circumstances of adversity, and, by extension who else has
> been a a later convert or merely intellectually opportunistic or a
> fellow-traveller.  To find oneself in a minority of one with the established
> power-structure against one is not pleasant, and that has been the experience of
> many, many notable people in history, from Jesus to Galileo to, let us say,
> Bakunin and Sakharov and Wei Jing Sheng.  It takes guts to withstand the
> pressure.

I agree with you on this. Thanks for pointing it out. I think that the
path IP is taking is still a "minority" path, with very few people in
India willing to even think what has gone wrong with us over the past half
century. The lessons from history are clear: and yet we are failing to
wake up to the reality of the world.

> In India, the original hero of Indian liberalism among economists was the late
> B.  R.  Shenoy -- an RBI economist who was a student of Hayek's, and who in the
> 1950s and early 1960s took on the power-structure of Mahalanobis et al
> single-handed, was blackballed in the Indian profession, and suffered other
> consequences.  (There really ought to be a B.  R.  Shenoy Prize for the best
> essay on liberal economics in India every year...  perhaps there is one at the
> University of Ahmedabad, cf.  Prof.  M.  P.  Bhatt, Shenoy's successor there.)

Is it possible for anyone to get in touch with Prof. Bhatt and invite him
into the debate, possibly as Advisor? Any one know his email address? And
the suggestion of an essay competition is excellent. Maybe we can include
this as one of our objectives on IP.