Human Development Index

India is ranked 139th. We're there right behind Pakistan at 138.
According to the news report, per capita income, literacy,
life expectancy and one more factor which I don't remember
were taken into consideration.
I tried getting the report from UN's website but I wasn't very
successful (It is not well organized and some pages were
inaccessible as they contained objectionable material according
to the NetNanny in Singapore National Library!). However here are
the social indicators mentioned. I do not know what the weightage
given to each factor is. To look at this at UN's webpage, go to
http://www.un.org and click on Databases followed by Social
Indicators.

> Social Indicators
>
> Population
>        Sex Ratio, Average Annual Rate of Change in Sex Ratio
>        % in agegroups of 15-, % males in agegroup 60+, % females in 60+,
>         60+ sex ratio
>
> Human Settlements
>         % in Urban Areas, % in Rural, % change over 5 years
>
> Water Supply and Sanitation
>         % with access to safe water and adequate sanitation in
>         1) Rural Areas
>         2) Urban Areas
>
> Housing
>         Average number of persons per room in
>         1) Urban
>         2) Rural
>
> Health
>         Life Expectancy - Of Male, Of Female
>         Infant Mortality
>         Child Mortality - Of Male, Of Female
>
> Childbearing
>         Fertility, Maternal Mortality Ratio, Contraceptive prevalence
>         among married women - two categories here - 1) Any method
>         2) Modern method
>
> Education
>         School life expectancy - Total, Among males, Among females
>
> Literacy
>         Among male and females in each of agegroups
>         15+, 15-24, 25+
>
> Unemployment
>         % unemployed - Total, Male, Female
>
> Income and Economic Activity
>         I did not understand this one. It had the following
>         Per Capita Adult economic activity rate
>         The next line said "GDP Male Female"

-Arvind