Re: Education

I have direct experience in getting more than 60000 illetrate children to
schools in the last 5 years.  Nearly all of them are agricultural labour
or doing houzsehold chores. In the work which enables nme todo this our
principles are
1. Every child who does not go to school is a child labourer.
this is different from the usual definition that a child should work in an
industry or a nfarm to be called a child labourer.  Lot of money and
attention goes to get him out of work.
2. The child should go to full time day schools.
There are no half ways about it.  When our children go to day schools and
it shocks us if we give them a task of work to justify their going to
school I dont see why the rural child should go to night schools
3.  There are no arguments justifying the child working.
Usually, it is bandied that poverty is a reson for illeteracy.  this is
the middle class urban view of life.  After all if the child doesnt work ,
the adult will find it difficult to suplport the family. Just as we are
willing to sacrifice a lot for our children the rural parent  is also
willing to do the same for his child.  We have proved it 60000 times in a
district in AP that parents sold their last goat, buffalo to enable them
to send their child to school.  What they want is CREDIBLE institutions
where they would get the confidence that the child is educated. Schools,
classrooms , \teachers are important.
there are 90000 girl children working in cotton farms in two taluks on the
argument that girls make "nimble" pickers of cotton.  They are exposed to
pesticides of high degree of intensity.  The employers finmd it convenient
becuse if they employ adults costs go up by 40%.  who is paying for all
these?

Education must be compulsory, it is employment generating (we ha have 2000
teachers working with us at varius levels) and there are direct benefits
..I dont have to tell you the benefits of primary education
More on this later
Vikram