From BDP India

Although you raise a valid point, it doesn't lend itself well to the
claim of keeping all education (in universities i
English). Both China and the Czech Republic are considerably better
off in economic terms than we are, and continue to gro
quite rapidly, notwithstanding the fewer programmers they have.

Utkarsh: I am trying to represent practical side of the situation.
Where are we going to get finances to hire individual
to redesign carriculums and translate all the material to other
languages. Japan and China had to deal only from one and/o
two languages, we would have to deal with 16 at least. Beacuase we
are so diverse in different parts of the country, w
have to come up with at least one language to communicate the
knowledge to all citizens as they can understand each othe
in debating or implementing solutions offered by the university
education. You and me can not communicate if we do not kno
English. If we have the luxury to offer university education in local
languages in future, I am all for it. But I am no
sure if we should spend resources at this juncture when there is lots
need to be done with limited resources. Why China an
Chezch Republic is doing better overall is policy making in all other
fields. Let us provide the right policy making an
see what Indi! ans can achieve.

My preference is to teach things in English for which there is value
in knowing them in English (like business, science
math, computers, etc.) On the other hand, a rural development program
or even an urban design program could gai
considerably by being taught in the local language,  which is the one
actually needed to implement any such learnin
successfully. What is the benefit/need in/to learn everything in
English?

Utkarsh: I do see the distiction you are making. But I am not sure if
we can still afford to recreate the wheel. IF we ca
at a minimal cost and the overall benefit (which only way to say in
simple terms is: financial) is worth it should be don
in the local language. Isn't that the case today?

I also am not sure if the global marketplace will necessarily view
English speaking nations more favorably. An economicall
strong China could easily tilt that balance, there are far more
Chinese speakers than English speakers. Windows i
available in Chinese, and other techinical and commercial ventures
will naturally tend to the existing nature of th
markets. If we all know Hindi, the big boys will make the stuff work
in Hindi. Why put the horse behind the cart hopin
that in time some other cart can be hitched to its behind?

Utkarsh: Idea is not what I am going to consume. Idea is what I am
going to create for the global market place. And I a
simply saying that if we take what if have and move forward, then we
are better off than recreating what exists today in 1
languages and then come to compete in the global market place. We
might be too late. Japan could do it but they just had d
to it in only one language. Seconndly neither China nor Japan
inherited English. Their options were either translate it i
their language or teach everyone English. So our situation is
different, and at least I think it is less expensive and
to move forward in English than to recreate the wheel in 16
languages

Also, in trying to leverage our efforts on to a bigger plane so that
growth becomes self-sustaining, we need to co-opt a
many people into the development process as possible. Why put up
barriers in front of people by having them learn i
unfamiliar languages, why not simply teach them in languages they
already know, at least in fields where there is not
international interaction?

Agreed.

Let's keep talking, and see where the argument leads. I'm willing to
settle for limited learning in other languages
all else in local ones. But I remain open to hearing the other
side

Me too.

I'd sure like to hear from some others who have been on the
sidelines. It is good to see increased participation once
narrowed down the topic. In a couple of days, I'll put up a status
report on the debate, and highlight the
unanswe
questions, and we can use the rest of the week to narrow them down.

I agree.