Re: Education

> The duty of government should be to provide access to education, maintain
> the standards, see that the ratio of teachers to students is kept at
> whatever has been decided etc.

The precise point is that the GOVT IS DOING IT NOW. They ae in control
of standards and DON'T allow a standard institution to come up. their
policies are 'vote bank' oriented.
My question is: 'Isn't it a democratic dictatorship to prevent ordinary
cirizens from getting the kind of education they want? Who are the Govt.
to dictate what should be the medium of instruction? If the Govt. wants
they can open thousands of schools of any medium they want. Why to have
a rule that you can't have ENGLISH medium? This control is only the tip
of the iceberg.

How can they maintain standards when none of the shools run by Govt.
spend more money than the best of schools do and produce almost no
education or learning? Even kendria Vidyalaya's are not that standard
for the outlay and facility they have. A few can not be taken as the

> The answer is No. Why should we give in to the whims of people who want
> to study in a school of their choice.
If some one wants to invest in the education of his/her son or daughter,
we can NOT take it as a whim. We should consider it our duty to provide
information and choices to him/her. then only schools will perform and
improve. In any case GOVT cannot and should not provide services if it
is going to set standards, supervise and enforce. What moral right GOVT
has to demand an excellent work teacher who gets a quarter of the salary
of the GOvt teacher who hardly knows anything, hardly dedicated or
interested in the child.
We need to attack the problems at the root and empower the public to
demand quality education and get it. we need informed parents who will
take to HOME SCHOOLING if things are not acceptable. right now we
criticise everything but don't even make a phone call towards positive

we need a movement of EDUCATION ACTION by the parents and shake up all
stumbling blocks, venomous acts and indifferent people. Education is the
most vital thing. we are about 50 years behind in education, when
compared to developed countries. We are equally or more backward when it
comes to using technology in classrooms. there is no use tinkering. We
mut look for a new model. it is time...

 If the reason is that the Government
> run school is of low quality, effort should be made to improve the quality. It
> is > not that all Government schools are of low quality. I am told that Kendriya
> Vidyalayas (at least those in big cities) are of good quality and even produce
> ranks despite the fact that the teachers are assessed on the pass percentage
> and number of first classes.

This is again a fallacy in deciding merit. Pass or First class should
not be the criteria. marks should be one of the criteria and that too
the AVERAGE of Kendria Vidyalayas should be compared; not a few students
who do well depite shortcomings.
We need to get to FUNDAMENTALS. there is a lot of gimmick going on.