Re: Education

The precise point is that the GOVT IS DOING IT NOW. They ae in control
of standards and DON'T allow a standard institution
to come up. their policies are 'vote bank' oriented. My question is:
'Isn't it a democratic dictatorship to prevent
ordinary cirizens from getting the kind of education they want?
Who are the Govt. to dictate what should be the medium of
instruction? If the Govt. wants they can open thousands of schools
 of any medium they want. Why to have a rule that you
can't have ENGLISH medium? This control is only the tip of the iceberg.

Utkarsh: Srini, let's follow your thought and see where does it lead us.
I do agree that present government policies may be
'vote bank' oriented. Even though we have to put out facts for that.
Firstly education of every citizen requires such a
magnitude of resources that in most developed countries around the world,
countries use tax dollars to fund it. Government
denial to allow an english medium seem to have financial implications.
Either we make all the schools english medium or a
local language. Otherwise, we might have to hire two set of teachers
and books. That will be expensive. With a population
of size of India, i am not sure even 6% of the GDP will be enough.

How can they maintain standards when none of the shools run by Govt.
spend more money than the best of schools do and
produce almost no education or learning? Even kendria Vidyalaya's are
not that standard for the outlay and facility they
have. A few can not be taken as the mainstream.

Utkarsh: you have raised two points which we have been talking about
in the discussions. First lets put the systems to
track money till the last penny. Let auditors audit it each year.
Secondaly let us develop standards at the National level
and let local governement be responsible to reach those standards
if they want money from the state government.

If some one wants to invest in the education of his/her son or
daughter, we can NOT take it as a whim. We should consider
it our duty to provide information and choices to him/her.
then only schools will perform and improve. In any case GOVT
cannot and should not provide services if it is going to set
standards, supervise and enforce. What moral right GOVT has to
demand an excellent work teacher who gets a quarter of the
salary of the GOvt teacher who hardly knows anything, hardly
dedicated or interested in the child.

Utkarsh: As I said earlier,lets have two different governments
set standard and implement those. Secondly you raise another
issue of quality if teachers. I would suggest that we set
standard exams for teachers to be evaluated continually on their
skills. Their salaries, bonuses and job security shuold be
based purely on performance.

We need to attack the problems at the root and empower the public to
demand quality education and get it. we need informed
parents who will take to HOME SCHOOLING if things are not acceptable.
right now we criticise everything but don't even make
a phone call towards positive changes.

Utkarsh: So what steps do you suggest.

we need a movement of EDUCATION ACTION by the parents and shake up
all stumbling blocks, venomous acts and indifferent
people. Education is the most vital thing. we are about 50 years
behind in education, when compared to developed countries.
We are equally or more backward when it comes to using technology
in classrooms. there is no use tinkering. We mut look for
a new model. it is time...

Utkarsh: Let's just talk solutions.

This is again a fallacy in deciding merit. Pass or First class
should not be the criteria. marks should be one of the
criteria and that too the AVERAGE of Kendria Vidyalayas should
be compared; not a few students who do well depite
shortcomings. We need to get to FUNDAMENTALS. there is a lot of
gimmick going on.

Utkarsh: Srini, what are the fundamentals you are talking about.