Re: Education

> a) Access: ALL schools to be private (citizen run) and partially funded by
> other citizens (tax payers) who gain social benefit from the positive

What are we going to do about those areas where no one wishes to
run a school? Sometimes, the government may be forced to run a
school due to lack of anyone running one.
Please confine your answer to suit the manifesto - would you like a
point in the manifesto which says that all schools will be private?

> b) Standards: We DO NOT need any government agency to set standards.
> Education is valuable to me as a private citizen and you and I - citizens
> - will set up institutions to assess standards. Today, Microsoft
> certification is far more crucial in getting a job than having got a
> degree from an Indian university. The private sector knows best what
> standards are needed. Let the private sector/ businesses set up their own
> standards institutions and their own exams to certify people who meet
> these standards.

Microsoft certification gets you a job. This does not prevent the existence
of other mithai ka dibba software shops producing unemployed "diploma"
holders. Do we need the same thing to happen in schools? Defining a set
of minimum standards doesn't prevent schools from having higher standards
and achieving excellence.

> As Srini "gear" stated:

Agreed with his point.

> All ye who think SO HIGHLY of the government and hope that it will set

Our task is to come up with a desirable manifesto and not be prejudiced
by the efficiency of the government.

> c) Ratio of teachers to students: That is none of the business of

one teacher for 500 students is acceptable if the management decides so?
I was talking of a minimum.

Finally, I am not insistent that we draw up standards. that point can
be dropped if that is not widely accepted. The whole issue
was an answer to Ash Mahesh's point on whether those who wish to
exchange education for cash should be entertained. The answer is No.

Let us stick to policy level while drawing up the manifesto. Not too many
details. I think the thumb rule should be that the point under consideration
is desirable and implementable. If you have doubts if it can be implemented,
ask for a broad idea on how it can be done. I don't think we should go into
finer details like the functioning of NCERT.