Infrastructure

( We will be closing our discussions/debates on
the education policy by tonight, Sep 18. It was
heartening to see a lot of interesting points on
the same and Ash has already taken steps to
summarize them. I post below a mail from Arvind,
"INFRASTRUCTURE", which contains key points for
discussions/debtes in the next week. We all look
forward to a high quality discussion on the same
too from each and every one---Madhu (moderator))

 Points for Infrastructure (from archives
as well as new)

Only private parties to be involved in construction and maintenance

Creating a capacity to meet highest expected demand

User pays principle - unavoidable subsidies will be done through
a social insurance program

Urbanization of the country

Planning Satellite towns

Power to be treated as a basic necessity

Identification of water sources in a scientific manner and ensuring
that water reservoirs are well maintained
(local government to be held accountable for any lapse)

Improving the efficiency of transport sector by
i) building better roads and better network of roads
ii) Abolition of Octroi

No limits on holding assets or any other limits which impede
development.

A couple of points from the telecom/IT policy

Involvement of private parties in cabling and uplinking

Allowing private companies to own and operate their
own communication satellites.