Change in nomenclature

I think we should call the work we are doing as the "People's Manifesto"
rather than the "Ideal Manifesto."

Any comments?

SS

About copyrights: Ajay: please remember that the critical constraint in
this is the violation of property rights of others (not our members
alone). Since we are moderating all postings, we would perhaps be held
liable if we allow a member to post copies of articles from, say, the
Times of India. However, if we leave the archives completely
'Off-Institute' - i.e., a private discussion among people over a coffee
table, we would not have to face closing down due to legal wranglings.

In addition, we are NOT following journalistic standards. We do not care
for authenticity of statements made. Hearsay is acceptable, as it would be
in a private conversation. I mean: I posted the other day that one ex-CM
of India (occupying a very critical position in India today at the
national level), had demanded $5 million for clearing an American power
project in his/her state. I know this is true since I heard this from the
horse's mouth (the consultant who had gone to meet this CM for clearance).
But you don't. For you, this is hearsay. I have not thought it fit for us
to be an investigative group since that is an endless waste of time. So,
we are permitting non-libellous (of course) but un-authenticated
statements; in fact, making them too. How does this go with our taking
copyrights over these postings? Doesn't that lead the Board into needless
trouble? Do you wish to take up that trouble? I would think it best for
each member to be fully responsible for his/her postings and that we avoid
getting involved in these legal issues. We don't want to be closed down by
some 'opposing' group going to court and snuffing out this voice.

Please take up this matter with your lawyer friend and let us know how he
feels. Please let him spend some time reading the postings to get a feel
for the potential for vicarious liability.

Thanks,

Sanjeev