Slightly updated Objectives, + administrative

The new Objectives for IPI read as follows:

1) NATIONAL DEBATE ON SYSTEM REFORM

To host and facilitate The National Debate on System Reform primarily
through the IndiaPolicy Discussion list designed to produce the highest
level policy document that we as Indians can give ourselves. The National
Debate would be focused on the production of The People's Manifesto, an
internally consistent document with various levels of detail compatible
with the rights of, and integrity of, each of us as Free Citizens of
India. To be more precise, this document would contain the National Social
Contract, authorizing specific tasks to the government and prohibiting it
from others not so specified.

(2) PUBLICATION OF ANNUALLY UPDATED PEOPLE'S MANIFESTO

To publish, annually, this People's Manifesto, to be updated annually. The
first edition will be published on the 1st of January, 2000 AD, and
subsequent editions would be published on the 1st of January, each year,
thereafter, constituting the consensus of as many Indians as possible.
This primary publication of IPI would be on the web or otherwise priced
merely to meet the costs. Other, priced, documents might be published from
time to time at the discretion of the Institute.

(3) BUILDING BRIDGES AND COMMUNICATION OF BEST IDEAS

To network with various advocacy and political economy institutes/
citizens groups all over the world which seek to determine and infuence
public policy in India, in order to involve them in this thinking process.
To help communicate and train people in these best ideas without deviating
from the primary purpose.

Please vet. We must all be very clear about what we are doing since these
objectives will go into the Memorandum of Association.

Administrative
==============

a) Please welcome Prof. Deepak Lal of the Univ. of California at Los
Angeles, as Advisor of IPI. He has written some outstanding material that
would be of interest to us. He had resigned long ago from the Indian
Foreign Service in order to take up an academic career. As usual, one has
high expectations from the Advisors in terms of guiding this effort into
making it a truly national debate.

b) Prof. Kaushik Basu, being very busy at the moment with his World Bank
assignment, has agreed to consider being on the Editorial Board of IPI,
sometime next summer. Please remind me to write to him sometime next
summer. In the meanwhile if we could find some of his key recommendations
and put up on the web (with his permission) that would be a good start.

SS